K guys we kinda fell off with these this year (RIP Lilim) but I've been wanting to do this for the last month or so. Let's get some OTY nominations going!
The nomination process will end on January 1st at noon EST. Feel free to change your nominations up until that date if you see anything in the next two weeks that strikes your fancy. You'll net yourself one (1) fine DP per nomination, and another one (1) for a serviceable explanation of your thoughts.
You guys know the drill here so leggo.
- Member of the Year [This does not need to be staff!] - Roleplay of the Year - RPer of the Year [Consistency is key!] - Fight of the Year - Battler of the Year
- Member of the Year: Truthfully I think this should go to one of the 4 people that do the most on this site and have for the majority of the year. I think we know who those 4 people are (Az, Me, Yan, Burter). That being said I wanted to nominate a non staff person too. For that I look at Krillin. He has been extremely active both with RP's, Battles and just keeping Discord lively and being a good member of the ADBZ community all around. He doesn't always know what he is getting himself into, but he dives into it at 100% and seems to actually care a great deal.
- Roleplay of the Year: I'll get back to this one. It will take some time to look back at the beginning of the year stuff too.
- RPer of the Year: I go to one person first when I want to RP with someone. That is Yan. He is always available and wanting to RP with anyone that he can. I think some of that is not wanting to hit the WC's solo, but I think a great deal of that is because he actually likes writing with others even if he doesn't like how they RP with him. The dude is constantly working on at least 5 RPs at a time and I think it has actually helped his writing approve this year as well.
- Fight of the Year: Chaos vs Yan Duel on Namek This fight They actually had a pretty good battle with some good strategy being used on both sides. They both sucked at math, but it was handled in the end. They both also RP like champs in most of the battle making it even more exciting for me to look at and ref.
- Battler of the Year: 2 Nominations here. 1st is Yan. I go with him because he has done a great deal this year, but more importantly to me looking at it I just saw 2 guys that jumped a battle before him because they knew he was coming that were both within 75% of his PL. I think that is a sign of respect from your opponents that should be noted even in taking a loss. He just needs to learn to math better! 2nd Nomination is Burter. He has probably been the most active battler this year and he has a nearly flawless record to go with that. No matter how he has to do it, he finds a way to win and that is the sign of a champion to me.
In a perfect world it would be Az every year so long as he remains admin. However, he is kinda pigeon-holed into doing the big shit since he's, ya know, the HNIC. So I wanna pick someone else, and my #2 is Shell. Dude has his hand in everything and even if he aint quick about anything, you can trust he'll do it in a timely manner regardless (or at least faster than Yan lmao). We may not like each other half the time, but he's important to the site year in and year out.
- Roleplay of the Year:
Tbh I gotta go with Friends, Traitors, or Nothing?. I'm nominating everyone involved (except myself). Between the massive level of involvement (10 different people, 13 PC characters!) and the way the setting fit in multi high-level battles seamlessly, it was the most exceptional thread of the year in my eyes. [Nominating Az, Kasume, Chaos, Jared, Bebi, Broly, Dende, Quan Lei, and Daji]
- RPer of the Year:
Even though they aren't with us anymore, I'd like to nominate Gummy and his wife.
Jk tbh I gotta go with Yan. He isn't the best writer on the site (sry) nor the one with the most WC in the year. What he does have going for him is that he seems to be writing with someone almost all the time, even if it's just a short quest a week. He is always open to RPing with anyone and (one day) I'll take him up on his open offer. Yan wants to have an IC connection to every character on the site and god damn it, I can appreciate that shit.
- Fight of the Year:
Going with Bugging You. Again, nominating everyone but myself (Cell, Chirai, Bebi and Kale if I HAVE to). Reading Cell's character was honestly my favorite part of the entire battle. He's a regular hoot-and-a-half. Everyone's characterization was fun and interesting from beginning to end. OOC there was a lot of flak going around but from an IC standpoint, to me, it was something of a masterpiece with only a few aspects feeling forced or unrealistic.
- Battler of the Year:
This will always be Chaos, for me. He's the best to do it since the day I first joined over a decade ago. He ruled the RP era, and imo he's still the best in the mechanics era. The way the dude's writing game elevates regardless of who he's fighting or what actions he's RPing, and the amount of thought put into every post (I know, this is like insider trading lol) is astounding. If I could read only one thing for the rest of my pitiful life, it would be battle posts from Chaos.
Post by Bebi Lilly on Dec 22, 2019 17:23:21 GMT -5
Member of the Year: Azazel. Yeah yeah, basic entry but not for the reason most people are suspecting. He does a lot of good site work, yes of course. Az pushes things through but that's kind of his job so I am not nominating him for that. I am nominating Az for his ability to look at things with an unbias point of view and to be willing to hear out an argument for (or against) something and consider changing things, or to outright tell you no fk off. On a sea of conflicting rulings and often time confusing mechanics, created by a multitude of people for different reasons, having someone able and willing to look at things and make appropriate changes is a godsend.
I will add in my other nominations as they come to me.